Apple, Fennel & Chicken Salad with Couscous
A refreshing, crunchy, sweet-savory salad featuring a play of fresh chopped apples, fennel and chicken breast blended with whole wheat couscous and spinach, then topped with lemon balsamic vinaigrette.
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breast (2-3 breasts)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 medium red apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (divided)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups Fresh Baby Spinach (about 3.5 cups)
- 1/8 cup walnuts (chopped, may use pecans or almonds)
- Slice chicken breasts crosswise into 1/2" strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, cook 8-10 minutes until done, stirring occasionally, remove from heat.
- While chicken is sautéing, cook couscous according to package directions, let cool.
- Core and chop apples, place in large bowl; toss with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Chop fennel bulb (discarding stem and fronds) and add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining oil and lemon juice with balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken, couscous, spinach, and nuts to bowl with apples and fennel.
- Drizzle with dressing, toss to coat, and serve.
- Can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
Weekly Menu Planning Tip : When you are planning a dinner with chicken, cook up extra chicken breast and refrigerate for later use with another recipe.
Serve with 8 oz. non-fat milk.
Produce for Better Health Foundation