Celery with Apricot Blue Cheese Spread
Crunchy, sweet celery is a versatile snack food, just right for this flavorful spread. Filled with dried fruit and nuts, this enticing and quick low-fat spread can be made ahead or on the spot. You could also serve it on whole grain crackers as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fat-free yogurt (plain)
- 4 dried apricots
- 4 dried figs or dates
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 8 stalks celery
- Chop dried fruit and pecans.
- Mix blue cheese, cream cheese, and yogurt with a fork or hand mixer until smooth.
- Stir in chopped, dried fruit and pecans. Refrigerate spread until ready for use.
- Slice celery stalks into 3-4 inch sticks.
- Fill celery pieces with spread.
Tips on how to select, store, and serve celery:
- Choose straight, rigid celery stalks with fresh leaves. Avoid pithy, woody, or limp stalks.
- Refrigerate in a plastic bag for a week or more.
- Add chopped celery stalks and celery leaves to your soups, stews, and casseroles for extra nutrition, flavor, and crunch.
- Add diced celery to your favorite tuna, chicken, egg, or vegetable salad recipe for extra texture.
- Cut-up celery for a flavorful addition to healthy stir-fry dishes.
Learn more about:
Produce for Better Health Foundation