Curried Squash Stew
Curry powder and cinnamon give unique flavor to this zucchini, butternut squash, tomato, and bean stew. Add raisins or dried cranberries for an added "sweet note."
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 celery stalk (including leaves, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 1 can 14.5 ounce low-sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 can 15.5 ounce low-sodium white beans or chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat and add oil. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook about 10 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- Add zucchini and curry powder and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the butternut squash, tomatoes and chickpeas and cover. Continue cooking about 10 minutes.
- Serve with cooked brown rice.
For additional flavor, add ½ cup raisins.