Easy Beef Supper
This is a favorite southwestern dish. Serve with vegetables for lunch or dinner. Adapted from a recipe by Phyllis Blackbear, Cheyenne Arapaho Tribes FDP.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (about 30 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) low-sodium kidney beans, drained
- In a large pan, cook ground beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add onion, green pepper, and tomatoes to ground beef and cook until onion turns light brown.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer. Add macaroni, tomato juice, spices, and beans to the pan. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir, and serve hot.
Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations