Ham and Swiss Breakfast Casserole
This is a quick and easy ham, egg, and cheese casserole. Prepare it the night before and bake it in the morning for a hot meal for your family or guests.
- 6 ounces ham, thinly sliced, low sodium, extra lean (NOT honey-baked ham)
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 slices enriched white bread
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon "beau monde" seasoning (or alternate)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Lightly spray an 8” x 8” baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Lay 3 slices of bread in the bottom. Layer ½ the ham and ½ the cheese. Repeat layer of bread, ham and cheese.
- Beat together remaining ingredients and pour over the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 325 degrees F; serve hot.
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.