Julie’s Cranberry Chutney
This easy and delicious recipe for cranberry chutney is a great alternative to cranberry sauce. It’s healthier than traditional cranberry sauce - with more fruit and vegetables, and half the sugar. The finished product has a great sweet-tangy flavor, and makes a great side dish to serve with roasted turkey, chicken, or pork. Or, for something different, try serving it with low-fat yogurt! ~Julie, CNPP Nutritionist
- 3 cups whole, fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 Juice of one orange
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Granny Smith apple (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let chutney cool slightly.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion