Liz’s Sparkling New Year’s Cider
With two little ones in the house, I’m always looking for ways that I can introduce them to new flavors and textures of foods and beverages. This sparkling cider recipe does just that! The 100% apple juice is familiar and adds a touch of sweetness, while the cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon introduce them to new spices. The bubbles from the sparkling water also provide a fun new feeling for their mouth. Adults will enjoy this beverage too!
- Liz, CNPP Nutritionist
- 2 cups 100% apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups sparkling water (unsweetened)
- Combine the first five ingredients in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring the liquid intermittently.
- Place a strainer over a large glass, bowl, or pitcher. Carefully pour the liquid into the container. Discard the star anise and cloves.
- Place the container in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once the apple juice mixture is cool, combine it with the sparkling water and serve.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion