Sweet and Juicy Raisin Tapenade
Traditional tapenades can be high in sodium, but not this version, with its base of raisins. Spread on crackers or pita bread as a snack or appetizer, or include as part of a tapas-inspired meal. Makes a great portable lunch.
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (drained)
- 2/3 tablespoon walnuts
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large whole grain pita bread (approximately 16 wedges or melba rounds)
- Place tapenade ingredients in food processor.
- Run until raisins, olives, and walnuts are finely chopped.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated.
- Serve with melba rounds or pita wedges.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a glass of 100% apple juice and hummus with cucumber slices and carrot or celery sticks.
Tips on Raisins:
- Raisins are fat- and cholesterol-free, naturally low in sodium, and loaded with antioxidants.
- Just 1/4 cup of raisins is equivalent to 1/2 cup of fruit.
- Raisins are the most economical fruit per serving.
Produce For Better Health Foundation