Sweet Potato Pancakes with Balsamic Maple Mushrooms
This healthful version of pancakes features the delicious goodness of mashed sweet potatoes and whole grains, artfully balanced with sweet savory sautéed mushrooms infused with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. This dish is perfect for dinner or brunch.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (orange flesh)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray, as needed
- 1 pound cremini and/or white button\tmushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Microwave sweet potatoes until soft; let cool. Peel and mash potatoes, using an electric mixer.
- Add milk, egg, and vegetable oil to potatoes; mix. Sift together dry ingredients and add to potato mixture. Mix on low until just blended.
- Heat non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat; coat skillet with cooking spray.
- Use 1/4 cup of batter per pancake, ladling into hot skillet.Wait until pancake bubbles and looks slightly dry on top before flipping over.
- While pancakes are cooking, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in another skillet (do not use non-stick) over medium flame.
- Add quartered mushrooms and toss coat with oil. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until juices run.
- Add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar to pan. Let simmer until sauce reduces and thickens.
- To serve, stack 2-3 pancakes, alternating with balsamic maple mushrooms.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with 8 oz. non-fat milk and 1 cup of field greens dressed with olive oil and vinegar.