This dish is packed with lean protein in the forms of black bean and lean ground beef. Chili powder, cumin, and fresh salsa add bold flavor to this Mexican-inspired recipe.
- 1/2 medium head lettuce
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 15 1/2 ounces can of black beans (no salt added)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (turkey or chicken)
- 2 2/3 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas (6 inch)
- dash ground black pepper
- Rinse lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeño. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic.
- Chop or shred lettuce into bite size pieces. Mince garlic. Halve the jalapeño and bell peppers. Remove seeds with the tip of a knife. Dice peppers.
- Over a small bowl, grate tomato and onion using the coarse side of a box grater. Collect all pulp and juices.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, bell pepper, and garlic, until meat is lightly browned. Drain to remove fat.
- Stir in frozen corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until most liquid is gone.
- While meat mixture is simmering, make a salsa. Add jalapeño and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and onion. Stir and set aside.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top each with grated cheese, salsa, and lettuce. Roll up and serve.
- Use any type of cooked beans in place of the black beans.
- For a vegetarian option, use an extra can of drained and rinsed beans in place of the meat.
- To increase heat, leave a few seeds from the jalapeño in the salsa. Or, season with an extra pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Top with rinsed and chopped tomatoes, green onions, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt, if you like.