Eggs, milk, and a bit of sugar combine into a wholesome dessert that can be enjoyed by all ages.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup skim milk (or reconstituted non-fat dry milk)
- vanilla extract (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
Wash hands with soap and water.
- Beat egg and sugar together in a saucepan.
- Add milk.
- Place saucepan with egg/milk mixture in another pan containing 1-2 inches boiling water.
- Stir custard constantly while cooking. Cook until foam disappears and custard coats the spoon. Remove from heat.
- Add flavoring and stir. Pour into individual dishes and cool in the refrigerator. Custard will be soft.
- Beat together egg and sugar in a baking dish.
- Add milk and flavorings. Mix thoroughly.
- Set baking dish in a shallow pan of hot water.
- Bake at 350 °F until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean (50-60 minutes). Do not overcook. Eat warm or refrigerate for later.
An additional egg can be added during step 1.
Eating Right is Basic
Michigan State University Cooperative Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program