Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Squares
This kid-friendly side dish, packed with whole grains and low-fat dairy, is perfect for busy weeknights. These squares reheat well as leftovers, an added bonus!
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup broccoli (chopped)
- 3 cups brown rice (cooked)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk, reduced fat (2%)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sprays of nonstick cooking spray
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and coat a 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the brown rice, cheese, onion, broccoli, parsley, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, Worcestershire sauce, and evaporated milk. Pour over rice mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into the 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake until just firm, about 35 to 40 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.
Recipe adapted from Commodity Supplemental Food Program Cookbook