This classic stew can be made on the stove top and cooked in less than an hour. The vegetables and chicken make it a filling meal by itself.
- 8 chicken pieces (breasts or legs)
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves (small, minced)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes (medium, chopped)
- 1/3 tablespoon parsley (1 teaspoon, chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 potatoes (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrots (medium, chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and any extra fat. In a large skillet combine chicken, water, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and parsley. Tightly cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
A Healthier You: Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
US Department of Health and Human Services
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion