This classic stew can be made on the stove top and cooked in less than an hour. The vegetables and chicken make it a filling meal by itself.
- 8 chicken pieces (breasts or legs)
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic clove (small, minced)
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tomatoes (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (1 teaspoon, chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 2 potatoes (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 2 carrot (medium, chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
1. Remove the skin from the chicken and any extra fat. In a large skillet combine chicken, water, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and parsley. Tightly cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
2. Add celery, potatoes, carrots, and bay leaves and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves before serving.
US Department of Health and Human Services, A Healthier You