Using corn meal that states "whole corn" or "whole grain corn" on the ingredient list means that you'll get the goodness of whole grains when enjoying this recipe.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (made from 2 teaspoons vinegar + 3/4 cup milk, made from non-fat dry milk powder)
- 1/4 cup egg mix (dry, mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, egg mix, and vegetable oil. Beat until well blended.
- Add buttermilk mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured board and knead only 10 times.
- Roll out to a thickness of 1/4 inch and cut with a 3/4-inch-round cutter.
- Cook on a warm ungreased griddle or frying pan for about 10 minutes on each side.
Healthy Eating In Indian Country: Diabetes
USDA Food and Nutrition Service
Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations