Couscous with Peas and Onions
Couscous is cooked with sage, peas, and onions for a savory side dish. Look for couscous or whole grain couscous in the aisle near the rice.
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon sage (ground)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup green peas (frozen)
- 1 cup couscous
- salt (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine oil and onions in heavy skillet.
- Sauté for 5 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the peas, sage, water, couscous, and salt if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until peas are tender but still bright green and all of the water is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork.
CHOICES: Steps Toward Health
UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program