Couscous with Peas and Onions
Couscous is cooked with sage, peas and onions for a savory side dish. Look for couscous or whole grain couscous in the aisle near the rice.
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon sage (ground)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup green peas (frozen)
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 salt (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
1. Combine oil and onions in heavy skillet.
2. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Add the peas, sage, water, couscous, and salt if desired.
4. Cover and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until peas are tender but still bright green and all of the water is absorbed.
5. Fluff with fork.
UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program, CHOICES Steps Toward Health