Cream of Broccoli Soup
This creamy soup makes a perfect lunch or dinner. Keep it healthy using fat-free milk and fresh or frozen broccoli.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried, crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pepper (dash, optional)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- garlic powder (dash, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, thyme, bay leaf and garlic powder. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, set all aside.
- In the same saucepan warm the oil. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the blended broccoli mixture. Cook and stir until soup is heated through. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
Calcium -- It’s Not Just Milk
University of Nevada Cooperative Extension
Nevada Nutrition Network