Vanilla and orange peel are the secret to making this delicious cake with chocolate frosting. Serve at your next special occasion for a tasty treat.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons margarine (soft tub)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange peel
- 3/4 cup skim milk (fat free)
- 3 sprays of cooking spray (for cake pan)
- 2 tablespoons skim milk (fat free)
- 3 ounces cream cheese (low-fat)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 cups sugar (confectioners, sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (extract)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
- Grease with small amount of cooking oil or use non-stick cooking oil spray on a 10-inch round pan (at least 2 1/2 inches high). Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
- Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until done. Let cake cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before icing.
- Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa. Blend well.
- Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
A Healthier You: Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
US Department of Health and Human Services
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion