Lemon Corn Cake
A light and flavorful cake, packed with sweet and tangy lemon flavor! The lemon glaze takes this cake to the next level!
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yogurt, low-fat lemon (about 6 oz)
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup non-fat milk
- 3 egg whites
- non-stick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Mix first five ingredients together in mixing bowl.
- Combine yogurt, lemon peel, oil, egg yolk, and milk together and stir into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Whip egg whites with mixer until stiff. Fold into corn meal mixture.
- Pour into round 9 inch cake pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until corn cake tests done.
- For optional lemon glaze: Over low heat blend lemon juice together with powdered sugar. Pierce cake top repeatedly with fork. Slowly pour glaze evenly over the top.
Learn more about:
Celebrate Health with a Lowfat Fiesta
California Department of Health Services
California Project LEAN