Yucca is a starchy vegetable with a taste and texture similar to while potatoes. Enjoy this yucca side dish with one of your favorite protein- or vegetable-based entrees.
- 1 pound yucca (cassava) cut into 3-inch sections and peeled (or 1 pound peeled frozen yucca)
- 1 cooking spray (as needed, non-stick)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a kettle, combine the yucca with enough cold water to cover it by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil, and slowly simmer the yucca for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Transfer the yucca with a slotted spoon to a cutting board. Let it cool and cut it lengthwise into 3/4-inch wide wedges, discarding the thin woody core.
- Spray cookie sheet with the nonstick cooking oil spray. Spread yucca wedges on cookie sheet and spray wedges with cooking oil spray. Cover with foil paper and bake for 8 minutes. Uncover and return to oven to bake for an additional 7 minutes.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute