Yucca is a starchy vegetable with a taste and texture similar to while potatoes. Enjoy this yucca side dish with one of your favorite protein- or vegetable-based entrees.
- 20 pieces of yucca (cassava) (fresh, cut into 3-inch sections and peeled)
- 1 cooking spray (as needed, non-stick)
1. In a kettle, combine the yucca with enough cold water to cover it by 1 inch. Bring the water to a boil, and slowly simmer the yucca for 20 to 30 minutes, or until it is tender.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Transfer the yucca with a slotted spoon to a cutting board. Let it cool and cut it lengthwise into 3/4-inch wide wedges, discarding the thin woody core.
4. Spray cookie sheet with the nonstick cooking oil spray. Spread yucca wedges on cookie sheet and spray wedges with cooking oil spray. Cover with foil paper and bake for 8 minutes. Uncover and return to oven to bake for an additional 7 minutes.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute