Savory simmered beans are simple and satisfying. Enjoy as a side to your favorite entrée.
- 2 cups beans, dried - pinto, black, or pink (rinsed)
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place beans, water, onion, and bay leaf in a large pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in salt. Cook 15 minutes longer.
- Top each serving of simmered beans with 1/2 cup fresh salsa, or store beans in refrigerator for up to 3 days in a covered plastic or glass container.
Learn more about:
Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love
California Department of Health Services
California Latino 5-A-Day Campaign