Savory simmered beans are simple and satisfying. Enjoy as a side to your favorite entrée.
- 2 cups beans, dried pinto, black, or pink (rinsed)
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Place beans, water, onion and bay leaf in a large pot.
2. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
4. Remove bay leaf and stir in salt. Cook 15 minutes longer.
5. Top each serving of simmered beans with 1/2 cup fresh salsa or store beans in refrigerator for up to three days in a covered plastic or glass container.
Learn more about onions.
Healthy Latino Recipes Made with Love
California Department of Health Services
California Latino 5-A-Day Campaign