Spicy Chicken and Potato Soup
This rich-tasting and hearty potato soup is full of flavor and perfect for lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound chicken, thawed, cut up, and skin removed
- 4 cups water
- 6 small red potatoes, chopped (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes)
- 1/4 cup white rice, uncooked (or brown rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or paprika)
- 1 cup fresh peas (or 1/2 can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium green peas)
- cayenne or jalapeño chilies, diced (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- parsley or cilantro, chopped (1/2 cup, optional)
- In a large pot, brown onion and garlic in oil over medium to high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to pot and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, potatoes, rice, and chili powder to pot.
- Bring pot to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir pot every 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for about 8 minutes. If using cayenne or jalapeño chilies, add that too. Mix well.
- Remove pot from heat. If using parsley or cilantro, add that now.
- Mix well and cover for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking chicken: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.