Split Pea Soup
Simmering this soup for hours keeps your kitchen warm on a cold winter day. Add ham for an even heartier soup. Enjoy this soup with a fresh salad and warm whole grain bread.
- 1 onion (large)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, dry
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Chop onion. Cook in margarine in a large pan until tender.
2. Wash and drain split peas.
3. Add water, split peas and salt to onion. Bring to boiling.
4. Lower heat and cover pan. Simmer about 2 hours, until thickened.
Wellness Ways Resource Book
University of Illinois Extension Service