Summer Vegetable Spaghetti
This tasty pasta dish is packed full of delicious veggies. Enjoy with fruit on the side.
- 2 cups onions (small, yellow, cut into eighths)
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped, peeled, fresh, ripe, about 1 lb)
- 2 cups squash (thinly sliced yellow and green, about 1 lb)
- 1 1/2 cups green beans (cut fresh, about 1/2 lb)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh, minced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz, no salt added)
- 1 pound spaghetti (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1. Combine first 10 ingredients in large saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes, then stir in tomato paste. Cover and cook gently, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
2. Cook spaghetti in unsalted water according to package directions.
3. Spoon sauce over drained hot spaghetti and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top.
Stay Young at Heart: Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute