Vegetable Cheese Soup
Swiss cheese, vegetables, and curry powder make this thick and creamy soup a filling meal on a cold night this winter. Serve with whole wheat toast on the side.
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups mixed vegetables, frozen or fresh (chopped, no salt or fat added)
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- curry powder (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- 1 cup dry milk, non-fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese (cut into small pieces)
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add vegetables, onions, salt and curry powder. Cook, covered, until almost tender.
- Mix dry milk, 1 cup water and cornstarch together. Add to partially cooked vegetables.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Add more water if too thick.
Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.
University of Nebraska, Cooperative Extension, Recipe Collection, p.96
Staff from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln