This egg dish provides a quarter cup serving of vegetables during breakfast and uses reduced-fat cheddar cheese and non-fat milk to limit fat. Prep and cook in about 30 minutes makes this recipe an easy breakfast for both the weekday or the weekend.
- 1 package (10-oz) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 small carrot, diced
- nonstick cooking spray
- Combine broccoli, carrot (if desired), and water in 10-inch nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally to break up broccoli, about 10 minutes; drain well.
- Beat eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper in large bowl until blended.
- Add broccoli mixture, cheese, and green onion; mix well.
- Coat same skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until eggs are almost set, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand until eggs are completely set and no visible liquid egg remains, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut into wedges.
- Broil option: After removing from heat, frittata can be broiled, 6 inches from heat until eggs are completely set and no visible liquid egg remains, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Three ways to serve a frittata: Serve wedges right from pan, slide uncut frittata topside-up onto platter, or invert it onto platter to show its nicely-browned bottom.
- Materials: You will ne a 10-inch skillet, large bowl, measuring cups, measuring spoons, mixing spoon, and a sharp knife.
Learn more about:
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget
MyPlate National Strategic Partners Toolkit