Brown Rice with Sizzling Chicken and Vegetables
This rice bowl with vegetables and chicken is simple to prepare and appealing to children and adults alike!
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 16 ounces boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small white onion, cut into small wedges (about 1/8 inch thick)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup total)
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium red bell pepper (cut into 1 -inch pieces)
- Mix soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add minced garlic; sauté about 1 minutes until garlic is golden.
- Add chicken; cook about 5-6 minutes, then push chicken to the side.
- Add onions to center of skillet; cook until slightly tender and push to the side.
- Continue with carrots, broccoli, and peppers separately, placing each in center of pan, cooking until slightly tender and pushing to the side.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients and at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens.
- Mix in with vegetables and chicken. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with an 8 ounce glass of non-fat milk.
Learn more about:
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget
MyPlate National Strategic Partners Toolkit