Chickpeas and Spinach Sauté
Sautéed veggies simmered with a can of tomatoes, chickpeas and wilted spinach make up this colorful dish. This recipes calls for chickpeas and spinach but any combination of "beans and greens" will work.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) low-sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 can (16 oz) low-sodium chickpeas (drained and rinsed with cold water)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach (kale can be used instead of spinach)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or red vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Put a skillet on the stove on medium high heat. When the skillet is hot, add oil.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook about 15 minutes until the mixture is soft and the onions are lightly browned.
- Raise the heat to high and add the tomatoes, beans (white beans instead of chickpeas) and water and cook for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to low and top the mixture with the spinach (don’t worry about stirring). Cover and cook until the spinach has thawed and heated throughout, about 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Add the lemon juice and red pepper flakes and stir thoroughly.
- Serve with cooked quinoa or brown rice.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion