This family favorite casserole is good for breakfast or lunch. Add flavor by topping it with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can low-sodium cream style corn (about 15 ounces)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons dried egg mix (or 2 eggs)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a saucepan, cook onions over medium heat in vegetable oil until tender (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Open canned corn and drain liquid into a measuring cup. If needed, add water to make 1 cup of liquid.
- Add liquid and cornmeal to the cooked onions in the saucepan. Stir until the mixture boils.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Mix in milk, corn, and dried egg mix.
- In a mixing bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Add cornmeal mixture. Mix well.
- Spray a 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 6 servings.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations