Dirty rice is a flavorful way to spice up your main dishes. It is also a good way to serve leftovers; cooked chicken or ham can be used in place of ground beef.
- 2 tablespoons dried egg mix (or 1 egg)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 can low-sodium peas, drained (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 can low-sodium kidney beans, drained (about 8 ounces )
- 4 cups cooked rice, cold
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine dried egg mix and water. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add dried egg mix to skillet. Scramble eggs over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add peas and beans to skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and pepper to skillet. Stir to break up any clumps of rice. Cook for about 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods.