Easy Oven Fish with Spinach Basil Dipping Sauce & Spiced Apples
Classic comfort foods with a modern twist, these easy-to-prepare fish sticks and spiced apples will please any finicky youngster's palate.
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- cooking spray
- 1 pound frozen pollock, or other white fish, such as haddock or cod (partially thawed)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (whole-wheat if available)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
1. Place rack in center and heat oven to 450°F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. To make dipping sauce, place all ingredients in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth.
3. Cut pollock into strips 1-inch wide (easiest when fish is partially, rather than full, thawed) and place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Mix breading ingredients (bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and pepper) in a shallow dish or pie pan; place flour and egg whites in separate dishes.
5. Dip fish sticks in flour, then in egg whites, then breading mix, coating evenly.
6. Return coated fish sticks to baking sheet, spacing evenly. Cook fish until it is 145 °F, confirmed with a food thermometer, about 10-12 minutes, golden brown, turning as needed.
7. While fish sticks are baking, cut apples in quarters and core them; slice into smaller wedges (about 12 per apple).
8. Toss with raisins, pecans, and cinnamon.
9. Heat butter in medium sauce pan. Add fruit mix.
10. Sauté lightly about 3-5 minutes. Apples should still be slightly crisp.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with 100% fruit juice and green beans or asparagus.
Produce For Better Health Foundation