Fresh Tomato Salsa
Fresh salsa is a refreshing, cool addition to a meal or snack. Try something new by adding it to salads, baked fish, and tacos.
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped (or 1/2 can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or jalapeño chilies, chopped (optional)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine tomato, apple, onion, and lime juice (or lemon juice). Mix well.
- Add garlic, vegetable oil, and salt to bowl. If using parsley, cilantro, cayenne pepper, or jalapeño chilies, add them too. Mix well.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Serve cold.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations