Garden Pan Bread
The bananas make this bread moist and add extra flavor. Serve with a salad or main dish, or eat anytime. Adapted from a recipe submitted by Alicson Scott, Chickasaw Nation Get Fresh! Program.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon egg mix (or 1 egg)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine bananas, water, and egg mix. Stir until mixed well.
- Stir banana mixture into cornmeal mixture. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Gently stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Lightly spray medium-size skillet or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into skillet or baking pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until bead is golden brown and pulls away from the edges. A wooden toothpick or clean fork inserted into the center of the bread should come out clean.
- Cut into four equal slices and serve hot or cold.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods