This family favorite is flavored with garlic, thyme, tomato paste, and mustard then coated with a tangy glaze and a sprinkle of oats.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small Spanish onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (cored and diced )
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet
- Put a skillet over medium heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and thyme and cook about 10 minutes until golden.
- Lower the heat and add the water and tomato paste. Cook about 10 minutes until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool. Add the mustard, salt and pepper.
- While the onion mixture is cool, put the ground beef, 4 tablespoons rolled oats and the egg in the bowl and gently mix, by hand.
- Add the cooled onion mixture and gently mix again until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Form the mixture into a loaf about 8 x 4 inches and put on the prepared baking sheet.
- To make the glaze: Put the tomato paste and mustard in a small bowl and mix well. Rub on top of the meatloaf and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons rolled oats.
- Put in the oven to cook about 1 hour until deep brown and cooked throughout. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- When using ground turkey add an extra egg
- Recipe can also be used to make burger patties