Grilled Lamb Salad
Grilled lamb is delightful with any green salad, especially this Asian-inspired version.
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 12 ounces boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes (if cubed lamb is not available at your meat market, ask the butcher to prepare it for you)
- 4 bamboo skewers
- 6 cups shredded Savoy, Napa, or green cabbage
- 2 carrots (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons black or white sesame seeds
- 1 small jicama, julienned (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Mix marinade/dressing ingredients; divide evenly.
- Place lamb cubes in a glass dish; pour half of the marinade/dressing over the lamb.
- Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.
- In a large bowl, toss cabbage, carrots, jicama (optional), onions, and sesame seeds.
- Remove lamb and discard marinade.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes; divide lamb among the 4 skewers.
- On hot grill, cook the lamb skewers 5-6 minutes per side (or to desired degree of doneness).
- Remove lamb from skewers, add to salad, and toss.
- To serve, divide salad evenly on four plates. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with nonfat milk and orange slices/wedges.
Tips on Cooking Lamb: Cooking temperature: 145 °F (medium-rare); 160 °F (medium); 170 °F (well-done)
Produce For Better Health Foundation