Lentil Barley Soup
A big pot of lentils, tomatoes, and pearl barley simmer into this hearty soup. A great "make ahead" for quick meals and easy clean up.
- 2 cups dried lentils (rinsed)
- 4 scallions
- 5 carrots (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 12 cups water
- 1 can 14.5 ounce low-sodium whole peeled tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place a large soup pot on the stove and add lentils, scallions, carrots, celery, oregano and barley and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for one hour.
- Add the tomatoes and continue cooking about 45 minutes. Just before serving, add vinegar.