This is a very quick and easy side dish. This three-step dish can be ready in minutes. Adapted from a recipe submitted by Alicson Scott, Chickasaw Nation Get Fresh! Program.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons light buttery spread
- 4 1/2 cups dehydrated potatoes
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder (optional)
- Over medium to high heat, combine water and light buttery spread in a medium-size pot, and bring it to a boil.
- Turn off heat; add potatoes and mix well.
- Add milk to potatoes and mix well. If using garlic powder, add that too.
Tip: Change the recipe by adding fresh onion, green pepper, blended American and skim cheese, or substitute chicken broth for a rich flavor with less fat. Remember that adding chicken broth will increase the sodium.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods.