Mushroom Beef Sloppy Joes
Chopped mushrooms, when sautéed, blend seamlessly with ground meats. Swapping or adding mushrooms to a recipe can add an extra serving of vegetables to the plate.
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 can 8 ounce no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- Chop mushrooms to approximate size and texture of cooked ground beef.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and mushrooms, and cook.
- Sauté until ground beef is done.
- Remove mushroom-beef mixture from pan.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden.
- Return mushroom-beef mixture to pan, along with remaining ingredients.
- Simmer about 10 minutes; remove from heat.
Produce for Better Health Foundation