Pan Roasted Tilapia with Tomatillo Salsa
Tilapia fillets are pan-fried until golden brown and served with a fresh salsa made from roasted tomatillos, serrano peppers, lime, and cilantro.
- 1 pound tomatillos
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 serrano or other chiles (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 4 tilapia fillets (patted dry with a paper towel, any inexpensive white fish can be used)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- To make the tomatillo salsa: (Canned tomatillo salsa can be used instead of fresh)
- To prepare the tomatillos, peel back the husk from the smooth green tomatillo skin. Rinse the tomatillos with warm water and cut into quarters.
- Place the husked tomatillos, onion, chilies, garlic, and 1 teaspoon oil in the baking pan, stir well and transfer to the oven. Roast about 20 minutes until the tomatillos are soft and dark green. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer the mixture to the blender; add the salt, lime juice, and cilantro and puree.
To cook the tilapia:
- Place the skillet on the stove over high heat and when it is hot, carefully add 2 teaspoons oil.
- Put the tilapia fillets in the pan, waiting about 30 seconds between additions. Cook about 5–6 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer the tilapia to the serving plate and top with generous amounts of salsa. Serve right away.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion