Pot Roasted Beef
This is a tender and satisfying roast beef dinner. Serve with a green salad and bread.
- 1 pound beef round roast, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 red potatoes, peeled and quartered (or 2 cans, about 30 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes, drained)
- 2 turnips, peeled and quartered (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium sweet potatoes, drained)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, brown the roast in the oil over medium to high heat for 10 to 12 minutes. Drain fat.
- Use a large iron skillet or roasting pan. Put the roast in the middle of the pan. Add the potatoes, turnips, onions, and carrots around the roast.
- Pour the tomato juice over the roast and vegetables.
- Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked.
- If desired, cut roast into one inch chunks. Mix and serve.
Tip for cooking beef roast: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for beef roast is 145 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations