Sarah’s Spicy Curry Turkey Soup
This turkey curry soup is a fun and flavorful dish to make with turkey dinner leftovers. You can use your leftover cranberry sauce to garnish the soup. A spoonful of cranberry sauce or chutney adds a cooling sweet, tangy flavor to balance the spicy curry. - Sarah, MyPlate Nutritionist
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 3 small red potatoes (diced)
- 3 cups cooked turkey (skin removed, diced)
- Optional garnish: cranberry sauce
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, and cinnamon and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a simmer. Then add carrots, spinach, potatoes, and turkey.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with a spoonful of cranberry sauce.
Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion