Sardine, Cucumber, and Tomato Sandwich
Toasted whole grain bread is stacked with cucumbers, sardines, tomato, and sliced red onion. Try canned tuna or salmon as tasty alternatives for sardines.
- 8 slices whole-wheat or multigrain bread (toasted)
- 1 cucumber (peeled, if desired, thinly sliced)
- 2 cans sardines, water packed (4 oz cans, drained)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 large tomato (thinly sliced)
- 1 red or white onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Put 4 slices toasted bread on the cutting board. Arrange cucumber slices on top of each slice.
- Distribute the sardines evenly on top of the cucumber and using the fork, gently mash them. Spread the mashed sardines to cover the cucumber. Squeeze the lemon juice over the sardines.
- Put the tomato slices on top of the sardines. Add the red onion. Top with the remaining slices of toast and press down gently to hold the sandwich together.
- Cut the sandwich in half and serve right away.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion