Spaghetti and Spinach Pesto
This pesto spaghetti dish is made with spinach for a unique spin on a classic. Top with feta and serve with a side salad for a colorful meal.
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti, uncooked (or your favorite pasta shape)
- 1 package 10-oz frozen spinach, thawed, well drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons tub margarine
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- In a blender (or food processor), combine spinach, oil, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, salt and basil. Mix at medium speed until finely chopped.
- Melt margarine in water. With blender or processor running, gradually pour in melted margarine mixture until blended.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Toss pesto with cooked pasta.
- Sprinkle feta on top and serve.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with grilled chicken, side salad, skim milk, apple slices.
The "Grain Chain," a group of MyPlate National Strategic Partners committed to promoting and supporting grains, offers a series of recipes featuring whole grains. Members include American Bakers Association, Wheat Food Council, Grains Food Foundation, National Pasta Association, USA Rice Federation, General Mills, and Kellogg's.