Tofu with Broccoli
Tofu cooked until golden brown, and broccoli sautéed in a soy and scallion sauce make up this one-skillet meal. Serve with a side of brown rice for a quick dish.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 scallions (green and whites chopped)
- 1 head broccoli (broken into florets, stems chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Chopped fresh cilantro (or basil leave)
- Put the tofu on a cutting board and cut it in half and then cut each half into 4 equal pieces.
- Put 2 layers of paper towel on a cutting board and put the tofu on top. Let drain at least 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours).
- Place a skillet over medium heat and when hot, add 2 teaspoons oil. Add the tofu, one piece at a time, and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Reheat the skillet and when it is hot, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add garlic and scallions and cook until just golden, about 2 minutes. Add the broccoli and water and raise the heat to high. Cook until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Return the tofu to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Serve with a side of brown rice.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion