Two Bean Chili
This no-fuss chili is a great way to use ground beef and beans to make a tasty main dish. Chili can be served by itself, with crackers, cooked rice, or baked potato.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium vegetarian beans
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium-size pot, brown ground beef over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add kidney beans, vegetarian beans, onions, chili powder, tomato juice, and pepper.
- Cook over low heat for about 40 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking with ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
Tip: USDA Foods macaroni products such as spaghetti, rotini, and macaroni are great additions to chili.
A Harvest of Recipes with USDA Foods
USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations