All you need is a microwave to cook this delicious and seasonal side dish.
- 4 acorn squash (washed)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 2 apples (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (2 Tablespoons, packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cut squash into halves and remove seeds. Place in a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a separate bowl in the microwave. Mix in apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Microwave for 1½ minutes.
- Spoon apple filling into each squash half. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes until squash and apples are tender.
- Serve warm.
University of Maryland Extension. SNAP-Ed Program.