This simple spice cookie is based on applesauce.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine (or butter or shortening)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 nuts (1 cup, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Prepare pan or cookie sheet (see below).
- Cream together sugar, shortening, and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture just until moist.
- Add applesauce, raisins, and nuts (if using).
For Cookies: Drop dough by heaping teaspoon several inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 °F for 10 to 12 minutes.
For Cake: Bake at 350 °F in an 8x8 inch pan for 40 minutes.
To check cake for doneness, pierce top of cake with a toothpick. Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean.
Montana State University Extension Service
Montana Extension Nutrition Education Program