Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken and Rice)
This one skillet meal makes a quick, tasty, and healthy weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chicken (whole, cut up, skin removed)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup peas
- salt (to taste, optional)
- pepper (to taste, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large skillet heat oil and brown chicken on both sides.
- Add green pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add rice, stir well, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes longer, or until all liquid has been absorbed and chicken is tender.
- Add peas, cook until hot.
Wellness Ways Resource Book: Taste of the World
University of Illinois Extension Service