Aunt Barbara's Chocolate Squash Cake
Incorporating squash into a chocolate cake adds flavor plus fiber, vitamin K, phosphorus, and folate.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package cake mix, dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup squash (shredded or finely chopped)
- chopped walnuts (1/4 cup, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube or bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and cinnamon.
- Add eggs, water, and oil. Blend until combined, then beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Fold in squash. Add nuts if you like.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Use a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
- To lighten cake, try 6 egg whites in place of whole egg.
- Replace 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup applesauce.
Learn more about:
Farm Fresh Summertime Recipes
Connecticut Food Policy Council