Double or triple this easy recipe to feed a crowd. It’s perfect for a picnic or potluck.
- 1 1/2 cups navy, kidney or lima beans (dry, sorted and rinsed)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard (dried)
1. Combine apple juice and water. Bring to a boil.
2. Add beans and simmer for 2 1/2 hours until beans are tender.
3. Drain beans, reserve the liquid.
4. Put beans and other ingredients in greased baking dish.
5. Cover and bake at 250° for 3 to 4 hours.
6. Uncover the last hour of baking and add some reserved liquid if beans become dry.