Banana Walnut Oatmeal
If your bananas are turning ripe before you're ready to eat them or use them in a recipe that calls for very ripe or mashed bananas, pop them in the freezer and thaw before using. The peel will turn very dark but the taste and texture of the bananas will be recipe-ready when you are.
- 2/3 cup milk (non-fat, dry)
- 1 dash salt
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 cups oats (quick cooking)
- 2 bananas (very ripe, mashed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons walnuts (chopped)
1. In a small saucepan, combine reconstituted non-fat dry milk, salt, and additional water. Heat over medium heat until steaming hot, but not boiling.
2. Add oats and cook, stirring until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Remove the pan from heat and stir in mashed banana and maple syrup. Divide between 4 bowls, garnish with walnuts, and serve.
You can substitute 2 cups water or 2 cups skim milk for the reconstituted non-fat dry milk.
Learn more about bananas.
United States Department of Agriculture,
USDA’s Collection of Nonfat Dry Milk (NDM) Recetas